Name: Joyce Fowler, Ph.D.
Work Address: 415 N. McKinley,
Little Rock, AR 7220
Telephone: 501-664-6632 (work)
2002 Ph.D., Clinical Psychology, Fielding Graduate Institute
1997 M.A., Clinical Psychology, Fielding Graduate Institute
1985 M.S.W., Clinical Social Work,
1978 B.S., Psychology,
March 26, 2002-July 1, 2003 Post-Doctoral Fellowship. Timber Ridge NeuroRehabilitation Center, Benton, AR.
- 2000-hour post-doctoral fellowship with emphasis in Neuropsychology in a residential setting. Populations served included pediatric, adult, and geriatric populations and their families. Experience with multiple neurological disorders ranging from traumatic brain injury, shaken baby syndrome, stroke, brain tumors, seizure disorders, multiple sclerosis, Karakoff’s, neurodevelopmental disorders, and other neurological disorders. Stages of care included post-acute rehabilitation to long-term care secondary to ongoing disability. Services provided included neuropsychological assessment, consultation services to multidisciplinary teams, behavioral analysis/development of behavior plans, and individual, family and group therapy. Also served as multidisciplinary team member for case consultation meetings, patient/family conferences, medical review team consultation meetings, back to work case conferences with employers, and consultation with case managers and life care planners for Worker’s Compensation and other insurance carriers. Coordinated psychiatric care with outside psychiatric providers. Provided in-service trainings and supervision for doctoral level and masters level graduate trainees.
- Supervisor: Dr. A. J. Zolten, Director of Neuropsychology and Psychology Services.
September 20, 1999-September 20, 2000, Clinical Psychology Internship, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, AR.
- 2,225-hour internship with dual emphasis in Behavioral Medicine and Geropsychology in a medical school setting requiring interaction with staff from other disciplines (e.g., multispecialty physicians, surgeons, nurses, pharmacists, dietitians, speech language pathologists, pastoral care clinicians, social workers). Populations served included inpatient and outpatient adult and geriatric populations and their families. Services provided included behavioral medicine/health psychology consultation services for multiple specialties (both inpatient and outpatient), psychological and neuropsychological assessment, and individual, family, and group psychotherapy. Participated in weekly clinical training seminars; weekly interdisciplinary team meetings in Behavioral Medicine Clinic; weekly interdisciplinary team meeting for the Bone Marrow Transplant Unit; and in attended Grand Rounds in Oncology, Geriatrics, and Psychiatry. Worked with a wide range of clinical disorders (e.g., mood disorders, delirium, dementia, anxiety disorders, character pathology, family difficulties, substance abuse, etc.) and a broad range of medical diagnoses across specialties. Supervised testing experience included a spectrum of objective standardized tests (e.g, Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale-III, MMPI-2, Brief Symptom Inventory, Hospital Anxiety Depression Scale, Geriatric Depression Scale, Dyadic Adjustment Scale, etc.), projective tests (e.g., Rorschach, Thematic Apperception Test), and neuropsychological measures (e.g., Mini-Mental Status Exam, Cognistat Neurobehavioral Screening Test, Rey-Auditory Learning Test, Memory & Behavioral Problems Checklist, Cognitive Estimation Test, North American Adult Reading Test, Boston Naming Test, Controlled Oral Word Association Test, Hooper Visual Organization Test, Judgement of Line Orientation, Trail Making Test A & B, Wisconsin Card Sorting Test, Finger Oscillation Test, Hand Dynamometer Test, Grooved Pegboard Test, Wechsler Memory Scale-III, Short Categories Test, Reitan-Indiana Aphasia Screening Test, Reitan-Klove Sensory Perceptual Examination, etc.) and a myriad of other measures. Participated in research design, implementation, data collection, and data management for multiple studies and also conducted original dissertation research with breast cancer patients.
- Primary supervisors: Allen Sherman, Ph.D., Assistant Director of Behavioral Medicine Department; Roger Williams, Director of Neuropsychology Services for Department of Geriatrics.
- Secondary supervisor: Stephanie Simonton-Atchley, Ph.D., Director of Behavioral Medicine Department.
1993-1995 Clinical Psychology Practicum The BridgeWay Hospital, North Little Rock, AR
- Emphasis inpatient psychiatric with adult, adolescent & child populations. Services included psychological assessment, individual, group, and family therapy, milieu therapy, and consultation services. Participated in multidisciplinary treatment team meetings. Rounded with psychiatrists and observed ECT treatments.
- Primary supervisor: Betty Everett, Ph.D.; secondary supervisor: Glenn Lowitz, Ph.D.
- Supervising Psychiatrists: T. Stuart Harris, MD, Chris Stinett, MD, Bradley Diner, Harley Harber, MD, and Roger Amick, MD.
1984-1985 Social Work Practicum, Arkansas Rehabilitation Institute, Little Rock, AR
- Emphasis acute inpatient rehabilitation with adult populations
- Primary Supervisor: Madeleine Kaufman, LCSW
- Secondary Supervisor: Linda Shear, LCSW
1983-1984 Social Work Practicum, Delta Counseling & Associates, Monticello, AR
- Emphasis outpatient community mental health with adults, adolescents, and child populations
- Primary Supervisor: John Greer, LCSW
1977-1978 Psychology Practicum, Delta Counseling & Associates, Monticello, AR
- Emphasis partial hospitalization/day treatment for chronically mentally ill adult population
- Primary Supervisor: Sherry Young, LCSW
1977-1978 Psychology Practicum, Suspected Child Abuse & Neglect (SCAN) Services, Monticello, AR
- Emphasis child protective services and child abuse prevention services for families with children from birth to 17
- Primary Supervisor: Linda Elliott, LSW
Licensed Clinical Psychologist, Number 03-13-P,
Licensed Certified Social Worker, State of
Connective Leadership Certified Practitioner, Connective Leadership Institute, February 23, 2009 to present
Fowler, J., Field Reviewer (2009):
Center for Substance Abuse Treatment. Addressing Suicidal Thoughts and Behaviors in Substance Abuse Treatment. Treatment Improvement Protocol (TIP) Series, No. 50. HHS Publication No. (SMA) 154381. Rockville, MD: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, 2009.
Fowler, J., Field Reviewer (2008):
Center for Substance Abuse Treatment. Managing Depressive Symptoms in Substance Abuse Clients During Early Recovery. Treatment Improvement Protocol (TIP) Series, No. 48. HHS Publication No. (SMA) 13-4353. Rockville, MD: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, 2008.
Fowler, J. (2006). Psycho-neurobiology of co-occurring trauma and addictions. In B. Carruth (Ed.), Psychological Trauma and Addiction Treatment.
Simonton S, Sherman AC, Fowler J, Suen K, Adams D,
Fowler, J. A. (2002). Dimensions of attachment: An exploration of relationships among attachment, distress, and quality of life in women with breast cancer. Fielding Graduate Institute,
Simonton, S., Sherman, A. C., Adams, D. C., & Fowler, J. (2000). Barriers to support services for cancer patients. Annals of Behavioral Medicine, 22(Suppl. S196).
Fowler, J. (1985). The effectiveness of assertiveness training in decreasing anxiety and pain behavior in chronic pain patients. Unpublished master’s thesis,
1988-present Private Practitioner and President, The Fowler Institute, Joyce Fowler, P.A., Little Rock, Arkansas
1986-1990 Senior Clinician, Southwest Employee Assistance Program (SWEAP), Little Rock, Arkansas
1986 Employee Assistance Program Counselor (part-time), Human Affairs International, Houston, Texas
1985-1986 Counseling Specialist III,
1985 Renal Social Worker,
1980-1984 Youth/Family Counselor, Delta
1978-1979 Lay Therapist (part-time), SCAN Services,
1978-1980 Group Facilitator (part-time), Parents Anonymous
Committee Assignments/Board Positions:
2015-present, Chair, Personnel Committee, Arkansas Psychology Board
2014-present Board Member, Arkansas Psychology Board
2014 Member, Arkansas Psychological Association, Workplace Discrimination Committee
2010 President, Arkansas Psychological Association, Little Rock, AR
2009-present Chair, Fundraising Committee, AR Psychological Association, Little Rock, AR
2009-2014 Chair, Scholarship Committee, Arkansas Psychological Association, Little Rock, AR
2009-present Arkansas Representative, Psychology in the Workplace Network, American Psychological Association
2009 Vice President, Arkansas Psychological Association, Little Rock, AR
2008 Vice President Elect, Arkansas Psychological Association, Little Rock, AR
2007 Past President/Board Member, Central Arkansas Executives Association, Little Rock, AR
2006 President/Board Member, Central Arkansas Executives Association,
2004-2005 Board Member, Central Arkansas Executives Association, Little Rock, AR
2006-2007 Chair, Long Range Planning Committee, Arkansas Psychological Association
2005-2006 Committee Member, Long Range Planning Committee, Arkansas Psychological Association
1997-1999 Member, Personnel & Finance Committee, Psychology Program Faculty, Fielding Graduate Institute
1997-1999 Member, Budget Committee, Planning and Advisory Council, Fielding Graduate Institute
1999 Member Strategic Planning Steering Committee, Fielding Graduate Institute
1996-2013 Chair, Scholarship Committee, Executive Women’s Network, Little Rock, AR
1991-1992 President/Board Member, Executive Women’s Network, Little Rock, AR
1989-1991 Chair, Continuing Education Committee, Arkansas Chapter, National Association of Social Workers (NASW)
1988 Member, Continuing Education Committee, Arkansas Chapter, NASW
1988 Member, Committee on Professional Standards, Arkansas Chapter, NASW
Training, Teaching, and Curriculum Development:
2014-present Member of Central Arkansas Psychology Internship Consortium and Director of Internship at The Fowler Institute
2012-present, Practicum Supervisor for University of Central Arkansas Psychology for advanced (3rd & 4th year) doctoral students
1996, Substance Abuse & the Family (developed new curriculum), University of Arkansas at Little Rock, Graduate School of Social Work, Little Rock, Arkansas
1993-1994 Field Instructor, University of Arkansas at Little Rock, Graduate School of Social Work, (practicum site: The Twenty-Four Hour Center/Log House residential addiction treatment facility for adult women), Little Rock, Arkansas
1992 Adjunct Faculty, University of Arkansas at Little Rock, Graduate School of Social Work, (developed and taught Occupational Social Work graduate course), Little Rock, AR.
1991 Adjunct Faculty, University of Arkansas at Little Rock, Graduate School of Social Work (developed and taught graduate course Social Work in Business & Industry), Little Rock, Arkansas
Numerous lectures and seminars on a variety of topics
Baptist Hospital, Little Rock, Arkansas
Member, American Psychological Association (APA)
Member, Arkansas Psychological Association (ArPA)
Member, National Association of Neuropsychology (NAN)
Member, APA Division 38, Society for Health Psychology
Member, APA Division 40, Society for Clinical Neuropsychology
Member, APA Division 42, Psychologists in Independent Practice
Member, APA Division 50, Society for Addiction Psychology
Member, National Association of Social Workers
Member, Central Arkansas Executives Association
Psychological/Neuropsychological Assessment, Psychotherapy & Consulting: providing a broad range of human services to individuals, couples, families, and groups with special interests including: behavioral medicine/health psychology, psychological/neuropsychological assessment, social neuroscience, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorders (PTSD), and substance abuse
Corporate Consulting: work-culture specific, tailored services for management and employees; leadership development
Teaching/training: neuropsychological/psychological assessment, behavioral medicine/health psychology, personality development, organization/systems dynamics, work/family life interface, substance abuse and family, professional development, leadership development, supervision
Research Interests: behavioral medicine/health psychology, neuropsychological/psychological assessment, personality development, attachment, social neuroscience, leadership development